Parman Branch Library has been recognized nationally by the U.S. Green Building Council and awarded the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold certification. Vickrey & Associates, Inc. provided the site civil design for this City of San Antonio project under the 2007-2012 Bond, and this marks the first City-owned building to receive LEED Gold status. The Architect on the project is Marmon Mok.
An internationally recognized mark of excellence, LEED provides independent, third-party verification that a building, home or community was designed and built using measurable green design, construction, operations and maintenance solutions, including sustainable site development, water savings, energy efficiency, materials selection and indoor environmental quality
“Vickrey & Associates, Inc. was pleased to be a part of the Parman Library team” said Brenda Vickrey Johnson, President. “V&A was able to provide innovative and environmentally sensitive low impact design solutions to solve complex issues on the site.”
“The idea behind the design was to intentionally blend into the natural environment,” said Lead Design Engineer. By utilizing natural materials found in the region and minimizing the environmental impact, the Parman Branch Library blends into the natural environment of San Antonio’s Stone Oak area.
V&A’s sustainable engineering solutions for Parman Library included:
- Utilizing natural materials, limestone and green space, and incorporating tree preservation into the site layout.
- Working with natural landscape, designing the sidewalk and drives to minimize disturbance of the natural environment.
- Designing a Sedimentation and Filtration Basin (water quality basin) which slowed down runoff and removed 80% of pollutants.
- Increasing stormwater infiltration by designing two underground storm drains and using Vegetative Grass Filter Strips, which improve the quality of storm runoff by using biological and chemical processes in soil and vegetation to filter out pollutants from runoff.
- Preserving conservation buffer areas by designing improvements outside of the existing floodplain.
V&A is committed to economic, social and ecological sustainability and provides sustainable engineering site solutions to our clients. V&A has several LEED Accredited Professionals on staff and V&A President Brenda Vickrey Johnson is a LEED Green Associate. Our professionals are equipped to solve complex site issues while maintaining the integrity of the environment, minimizing the impact on future generations, and incorporating economic considerations of the client.